Electric Safety in the Home
Every year, electricity-related incidents claim lives, cause shock and burn injuries, and result in billions of dollars in property damage caused by electrical fires. To protect yourself from electricity-related injury, check for problems in your home electrical system.
- Check outlets and extension cords to make sure they aren’t overloaded.
- Examine electrical cords to make sure they aren’t frayed, damaged or placed under rugs or carpets.
- Make sure that the proper wattage light bulbs are being used in light fixtures and lamps.
- Consider installing ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) anywhere electricity and water can mix.
- Unplug appliances before cleaning.
- Use only Underwriters Laboratories (UL) approved electrical equipment.